interview question and answer

November 11, 2012

Unable to open Exchange Server 2010’s Exchange Management Console with the error: “The attempt to connect to http://exchange.domain.com/PowerShell using "Kerberos" authentication failed: Connecting to remote server failed...”


Ran into an interesting error when trying to create an Exchange Server 2010 mailbox for a user object where I would constantly encounter the following error:
The attempt to connect to http://exchange.domain.com/PowerShell using "Kerberos" authentication failed: Connecting to remote server failed with the following error message : The client cannot connect to the destination specified in the request. Verify that the service on the destination is running and is accepting requests. Consult the logs and documentation for the WS-Management service running on the destination, most commonly IIS or WinRM. If the destination is the WinRM service, run the following command on the destination to analyze and configure the WinRM service: “winrm quickconfig”. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
image
The first thought that came to my mind was to check the Exchange services and when I did, all of them were already up:
image
After searching on the internet and coming across the following 2 links:
… none of the purposed solutions worked but through reading the The Exchange Team Blog, I realized that this might have something to do with IIS.  Restarting the Exchange services during office hours was definitely out of the question but I had to get this working because I needed to create the user’s mailbox.  After thinking about what options I had for a bit, I realized I could probably restart the World Wide Web Publishing Service quickly and so I did:
image 
Once the World Wide Web Publishing Service successfully restarted, the Exchange Management Console was now able to load the organization:
image

No comments: